Trotter's Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Grade Angst?"

I know I am late to the conversation, but I admire Terry Sale's efforts to challenge the ingrained, grade mindset. Tomorrow morning, I should receive an e-mail from one of my students regarding his inability to score well on a writing assignment. He said there is "so much pressure to obtain points or a grade in school that it takes away from everything." He felt as if he could not orate his grade angst. So he agreed to e-mail me about wether the writing grade should be suspended, enhanced, or ignored. He said he wants to learn, revise, and work on the writing so that he can improve his skills, but he is so disenchanted with his own outlook regarding grades. We will see what transpires and if his suggestions will impact his class. Thank you Terry Sale, Mr. Fisch, and others for challenging the grade tradition. I echo Terry Sale: there is always next semester in the educational field.

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger lgaffney said...

It makes me sad that a student could be so disenchanted with grades that he doesn't want to learn. If this doesn't tell us our grading system is broken, I am not sure what does. Thanks for sharing your grading angst, Greg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home