Trotter's Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Narcissus And My Reflection In The Pool

My dear colleague,Marlys, blogged so eloquently about the newspaper articles from several weekends ago. I happened to read the articles as well, and her words synthesized my own thoughts about my nearly six year old son, my 2007-2008 students, and their expectations our shared courses.

As my classes began with "Big Picture" ideas and expectations, the students were reticent with wonder. On the second day of one course, the students remained silent for six minutes during a hybrid Fishbowl discussion. I could have been the cause, but it seemed to stem from the fear of speaking foolishly. Consequently, the use of blogging allowed the students to voice their thinking and converse with each other. It was empowering to share some of their words from the class blog with their parents on "Back To School Night." The students were wondering. I know I am late to the 21c table and limited in my 21c growth, but the students have helped me wonder again like my nearly six year old son who dares to "..ask the questions that we are afraid to ask..."

Furthermore, Mrs. Comp aided and encouraged me to explore and employ the use of del.icio.us social bookmarking in my transfer from the old to the new webpage, and it is extremely helpful.

1 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Nice idea, sharing their blog comments on Back To School Night. What was the reaction from parents?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home