Trotter's Blog

Monday, October 01, 2007

"Mathletics?"

Last week, it was so wonderful to observe Barb Stahlhut teaching students about derivatives. Barb inspired me to think about experiential activities within my classrooms. My experience in her classroom made me say, "dump trucks to all." I must use personally relevant activities, objects, and scenarios to build student investment. Barb demonstrated how to put the "student back in teaching", and I really admired her use of technology, verbal validation, collaboration, and self-assessment. Also, the derivative activity focused on the learner. For me, Barb's words resonate beyond the walls of the classroom, "We know what it looks like, but what does it mean?"

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger bkitch said...

I didn't get to see Barb's class; however, I love that your blog reminded me that teaching something is truly one of the best ways to learn it and we need to put our students in the drivers seat as much as possible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home